Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Southern Drawl

When I talk I have a southern accent, at least that's what I'm told.  I get teased a lot about it, in a family of 14 my accent is the strongest.  Some of my siblings will do everything they can do convince you that it is fake.  Honestly me fake an accent?  I don't hear it, but people comment on it all the time.  Esp when I'm north of the Mason Dixon line or when someone from the north of the Mason Dixon lines comes south.

When I'm tired or stressed it comes out even stronger.  Words that should be only two or three syllables becomes a word that somehow has four or five.  I can say pie like they do in the old southern movies & Timothy claims that I'm faking the word greased EVERY time I say it~Come on there is a Z in there right? (My Grandfather said it that way, so it should be correct right? :D)   The main people who tease me or say that it's fake are my family members. Mainly because I didn't have it as a young child and it only really started coming out right before we moved out to the "sticks". And like I said I have it all the time but you mainly notice it when I am stress, really busy, or way to excited.

While in outside of Texas I would have people say "You're from Texas? You don't sound it...Oh, wait I hear it now!" lol And it wasn't like I was talking differently (at least that's what they said). But when they listened to how I was talking it came out, just a little. Throw in ma'am, sir, or Y'all and it makes it sound southern even if it comes from someone with an English accent.  lol (Ok, so I'm stretching things there.)

A couple weeks ago I was in a local computer store (best place to buy phone chargers) and I was talking with the cashier (because that's what you do in the South).  Towards the end of our conversation~Mainly about where I go to church~She stops & looks at me & asks "Where are you from?"

Me~Slightly Confused:  "Here, Houston Texas.  But I live in Waller now."
Cashier: "Really, I love your accent.  I love hearing every one's accent down here, but yours is really southern & nice!"
Me: "Oh, thank you!

I then Facebooked "I have an accent?"  where upon everyone except one sister came on & said yes.  Me? Well I don't hear it. But, how many people can really truly hear their accent, lack of, or how they talk?

So, if you have heard me talk....Do I have an accent?  If you have not heard how I talk....Well, you can guess if you want. 

1 comment:

Jonathan H said...

Hmm, I didn't notice it when I met you. I have met people with a MUCH more noticeable Southern accent.