Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Strike Three...

...Game over, Giants win the World Series!!"

And thus ends another baseball season.
The Giant's won for the first time since moving out to California, where as Texas is still without a World Series title. I'm happy for the Giants as I would be for any team that wins the World Series (unless you happen to be the Yankees or Braves). Yes, I do wish the Rangers had won, because I would LOVE for Texas to have a World Series trophy, but I'm glad that the Giants won.

This year like many years there is a feeling that something is missing, but then there is also the reminder that there is always next year. Unlike years gone by I did not cry myself to sleep nor did my dad give me a hug right before I went to bed and said "Next year will be here before you know it!".

Yes, there have been years where my dad held me & let me cry because my team lost or the season was over. As I have gotten older I don't cry (well....Maybe I do), but I do wish the season would keep going, but dad is always there with a hug and the Next Year talk.

This year was different in many different ways...

This year I cried in early September when the Astros were eliminated and then again in late September when the Red Sox lost, (No, I am not joking.).

This year the 'Stros didn't pull us along all through out the year, the let us know early on it would be hard for them to make it to .500 ball, let alone the post season. And the Red Sox gave it a good run in the end, but should have tried sooner.

This year I watched the World Series by myself for the first time ever. Sure I talked about it with dad the next morning, but I found it wasn't the same as being there with him watching the game.

This year I am going to do my best to wait until December to start missing the games & to start watching replays on the computer or ESPN Classic.

This year I learned that most of my enjoyment of the sport is not the sport but the time spent with dad while enjoying America's pastime.

Now, to count down the days until I see dad again, Christmas & then Spring Training...

No comments: