Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I'm Still Here!

For those of you who didn't know it over the past month I've spent three weeks staying 2 hours north-Northwest of New York City and the past week in Boise.

The work in New York is nothing different then I am used to from here at our farm.  Just different ways of animal management and cheese making, main reason I went to New York the first time was to learn how other people do animal management and cheese making.  It's the best way to learn...From others who have been doing it longer then I have.

This time around I went up to help with chores & cheese making so that they could build a new barn.  Since I already knew what I was doing it was easier for me to fly up their & help with chores and other farm things instead of them hiring a new person up there & spending time to train them in all things goat & farm.

In previous years when my time in New York was over, I've either drove down to Texas (hauling goats) or flew down (best way at the time.) This year I kind of did both...I flew from New York into Boise for the American Dairy Goat Association's (AGDA) Yearly Convention & Meeting.  After a week I drove down with another goat breeder.

All this to tell you....The first day there I did the all day Pre-Training Conference, taking the first steps in becoming an ADGA judge.  Becoming a judge as been something that I've wanted to do for years now.  (a friend reminded me earlier today how she has know me for seven years and as long as she has known me I have wanted to become a judge.)  I didn't go through the entire conference, meaning I don't have my apprenticeship.

Of course, now looking back I'm kicking myself that I didn't go the entire way, but it's a lesson learned and I'm sure there is a reason that I didn't get it.  I may never know it and in the end it may just be because I was scared and lazy.

I can remember hen we moved out to the farm (remember I was 16 when we moved out).  There ere a few people that told my parents "Why would you do this to your kids?!?  I grew up in the country and moved into the city as soon as I could.  Your kids will be doing the same thing! As soon as they can they will be off the farm."

Eight years later and I'm still on the farm.  Not only am I still on the farm, but I'm here by my choice doing what I love and taking what steps I can to go father in this industry.

I'm taking internships and classes to advance my knowledge of goats and goat cheese.
I've started my own business of making & selling goat milk soap.
I help in as many ways as possible to advance goats and people's knowledge of them.
I've started taking the steps to becoming a judge. 

I enjoy what I do.
I enjoy selling at markets and meeting people.
I enjoy educating people about goats & their products.

Yes I have made my own choice to stay here.
And as long as it is God's will I will be living on the farm helping my family with the family business

No comments: