Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My laptop's Death In Whey

For those of you who have been following my blog for a while, you will remember that I've had a bad history when it comes to laptops.  In my defense, none of the damage done to my laptops was done by me.  In each case someone else was borrowing it (with or without permission).  Thus making it not my fault, but my problem.  :D

A year and half ago (can't believe it was that long ago!) you'll remember my laptop was dropped in whey by Linnea.  It's been asked that I expound on how it all happened.

To be truthful the main reason I didn't post about this back when it happened is because I didn't want to dwell on it as I was not having the best of attitude about it, esp when Linnea was in the room when I was talking about it.  Now I've let it go (again, mom was right.  My sister is more important then the laptop or the money she might have owed me to repair it.) and the other reason was because I didn't get all the details until months later.  So, here goes (with a reminder as well)....

As I was driving to the Rodeo it was raining, I was late, trying not to stress out or speed when I got the phone call.  (Just FYI I HATE driving in the rain.  I'd rather drive all night, then an hour in the rain.)  I notice it's home calling (and I only left the house 10 minutes before) so I answer it (Using a hands free device of course) to Linnea on the other end.

Linnea:  "Katie since I'm bottling the chocolate milk for you so you can go to the Rodeo"--(mind you to work, but she forgot that part!)--"Can I use your laptop to listen to music?"

Me (Keep in mind I don't like driving in the rain): "Yeah! Sure! What ever!  Don't hurt it!  Bye."

A few hours later I halted in my coffee making, cobbler serving job to answer the phone.

Mom: "Katie, Linnea had your laptop in the dairy & Grace went in there to help & some how in the transfer of workers your laptop was dropped in the whey.  It's sitting in rice right now, & we can see how it's working later on when you get home."....

Weeks (close to months) later I found out the true "gory" details of my laptop's death.  Turns out that Linnea in her 14 year old mind thought it would be OK to put the laptop on top of a cutting board and then place the cutting board on the only flat surface she could think of--Across the bucket that the whey drips into from the hanging cheese.

Then when Grace came in one of the two girls (I will probably NEVER know who) knocked the shelf that the bucket was sitting on.  That caused enough vibration on the shelf to rock the cutting board into the bucket of whey, thus causing the laptop to slip into the whey. 

Make sense?  Didn't think so,  lol  I'm still trying to figure it all out myself.  But, now I'm two laptops down the road and the whole episode taught me a couple lessons....Never answer a questions about lending my things to any of my sisters, while driving in the rain and never let Linnea borrow my laptop in the dairy (or around anything liquid).

That just might be one of the times when I shouldn't have answered the phone and just told them, "I was driving" the next time I talked to them.  But, oh well there's a reason for everything & maybe Linnea Listening to music as she placed my laptop in a precarious position was meant to be that laptop's last act of service.  Doesn't mean I like that it drowned a sticky & wet death!  lol

And there is the expounded story of my first laptop's death.

6 comments:

Kira Thomas said...

Alas for the poor laptop!
Actually, it is quite funny that you posted this right now... We're making cheese. xP

Katarina said...

Just keep all electronics away from the whey. :D The damage done to them due to whey is worse then what water can do to it!

Jonathan H said...

An interesting story - thanks for posting.
You mention 2 laptops lost - were fluids involved in the other one also?

Katarina said...

No, the second one broke last year while we were Evacuated last year during the labor day fire.

Here's the story...http://naturallytexan.blogspot.com/2012/01/hi.htmlt

Jonathan H said...

I didn't know you were counting that one since it was semi usable afterwards. Hopefully your current one lasts better!

Katarina said...

I counts....I still had to replace it. It took me a while, but it was still had to be replaced.

Same for me. I've just learned that I need to keep all electronics away from anything liquid & goat related. As every electronic except for my phone, that I have had has died a wet goat related bath.