Monday, May 25, 2009

Last Saturday

Much as I would love to cheat today and just send you over to my mom's blog to hear how last Saturday went, I know that that wouldn't be right, so I will do my best and pray that you can understand it, as I am still trying to catch up on my sleep and think I might have caught "the show bug".

Well, we got up real early; I think we beat the rosters this time. lol At the early hour of 3 some of us got up, while the others crawled out at 3:30. We had to milk, morning chores, load up two vans for market, the rest of the stuff for our show, a trailer with 7 goats, the blue van and the white geo for those going to the goat show, all before 5! And we came pretty close; with me pulling out after dad at 5:15 and the only thing that someone had to go back for was Dad's cell phone. :D

Well, dad dropped all 11 children and 7 goats off at the fairgrounds in Hempstead and left with an old friend for the Austin market. With the help of the older girls we got all the goats and children settled, Christin working on the food for the concession stand with Emma, Sara watching the toddlers, Grace and Linnea working on finishing up the goats for the show, while I headed out with Liberty to pick up doughnuts for the exhibiters.

After I got back I had to look at a goat that was limping and unlike all the other shows where mom gets to make the decisions on whether we keep in animal in the show or scratch her, it was my decision and left me a little uncomfortable since this was mom's pride and joy I was thinking about! So, I got a second opinion and they said it would be best since she would be knocked down in the line for limping. So, that is what I did, much as I hated doing it!

After I finished telling mom and Grace about what I had decided I then checked on Christin and Emma, helped a little with the food and then headed out for the breeders meeting, as soon as that was done I helped with some paper work, checked on all the kids to make sure that Christin and Emma knew what to do with the food. Grace, Sara, and Linnea knew what goats to show, when, were, and all that. And that Timothy, Liberty, Noah, and Judah where behaving themselves for Nathan. After all the children were checked on and everything was as in place as it could be, I headed over to my ring to learn about my new job, ring secretary.

It took a little bit of learning but I got it down, (yes, right at the end of the show) and I am still trying to decide if I want to do it again next year. lol We will have to see.

As for what our goats did, I am still trying to figure that all out. The only one that I really saw placed was my goat. I had a break in my ring for a few minutes due to waiting for another breeder to come out of another ring, so I went to see how my sisters were doing. I got there just in time to see that my goat, the daughter of my first goat and one of the first to have our heard name was being placed FIRST!!! She even topped goats, that had her beat last year and breeders that have been in goats longer then I have been in this world!! There are no words to tell how happy and excited I am. Especially because I came within hours of emailing someone and telling them I was going to sell her! She's a keeper and was so even before she stepped into the ring, but having a judge tell me that I am going in the right direction is just amazing, considering five years ago at this same show I didn't know how to better a goat or even one breed form another!! :D

Emma went second in showmanship, Linnea went second. Libby did REALLY well with an animal that was almost as tall as she is. Sara didn't do as well, but she is still working on it and not quitting! Timothy didn't do too well, but then he never really wants to do it until right before they go into the ring.

Christin did very well in the concession stand, considering there were times when she had to do it by herself. But, we were able to raise some of the money needed to pay the vet bill for Grace's horse and still feed the kids at the show and that night after we got home. :D

We were all dead dog tired when we got home and almost all crashed not to be waken until 7 the next morning. I think we have mostly gotten over it, but we will have to wait and see. :D

1 comment:

Abigail said...

Exciting about your goat placing first!! Congrats!!