Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Liberty

Yesterday I was not feeling well. So, all I did was rotate laundry, read, and watch T.V.. This past weekend we upgraded our cable so that we could get the Astros and RFDTV. Also in the upgrade we got Tuner Classic Movies, one of my favorite channels. At nine they happened to be playing one of my favorite movies "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington".

This movie has been a favorite in our family for a very long time and is one of the movies I will watch over and over again, it never gets old for me. When we went to D.C., we watched it two or three times in the four days we were on the road. Just all the monuments, ideas and thoughts that are in this movie made certain aspects of D.C. more enjoyable and real to us. :D

At one point in the movie when Jefferson Smith is talking with his secretary Saunders, he says something that I always remember and is one of my favorite quotes in the entire movie and is one of the best ways to explain why I study history.

"You see, boys forget what their country means by just reading The Land of the Free in history books. Then they get to be men they forget even more. Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books, Miss Saunders. Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't, I can, and my children will. Boys ought to grow up remembering that."


No comments: