Friday, May 28, 2010

"Katie Weirdness"

For years now when ever black eyes were mentioned or one of my siblings got a black eye there was bound to be one person who would light up and want to see it, while there would would be at least one other person who would shake their head and mumble something along the lines of...."Crazy girl wants a black eye, well I can help her with that!!".

Who was that crazy person who would light up and want to see the black eye? Why me of course! And who would the person be who would do the muttering? Any of the older girls, from Emma to Christin or one of my parents. Why?

Ever since I was a little tyke, I thought black eyes were the coolest thing. Don't ask me why I don't know , but I did. My mom thought I was weird and my dad thought it might have had something to do with my love of baseball. My sisters? Well, truthfully sometimes are all to happy to help me with my wish for a black eye.

I spent many hours walking into doors or running towards a mirror every time a toddler socked me good and hard while rough housing. It took months of walking into doors, years of rough housing, and one episode of being dragged by a 150 pound dog into a lamp post. To realize I do not bruise easily.

How did I figure that out? Well, when the dog dragged me into the lamp post I only bruised slight, never got a black eye, & was in an amazing amount of pain for the lack of bruising I had. Dad who watched it was surprised that it wasn't bruised more then it showed.

I have to laugh.....even with flipping a 4-wheeler, wrestling with 150+ pound goats, and being in more then my fair share of wrestling matches pitting me vs. three boys has yet to get me a black eye. I've even been elbowed in the eye once and only ended up with a headache!!

There have many many times where my big sister, know it all attitude, or bossiness has gotten so under their skin that my siblings offered to help my "dream come true".

Please don't ask what the fascinate with a black eye is about, as I wouldn't be able to give you answer other then "Well, it looked neat!". I don't know what I started wanting a black eye, I think it might have been when I was eight and two sisters had a nice shiner as well as two friends having one as well.

My mom chalked it up to being a "fad" and thought I would out grow it. She's still hoping that one day I will grow up and stop wishing for a black eye. Until then, if your ever around my family and here someone ask me "You want help with that black eye dream?" or "I can help with that goal Katie!" you know what their talking about and you can add one more thing to the every growing list of "Katie Weirdness".

O.K. so I lacked something better to write. (as if you couldn't guess) I'm having a combination of writers block and VERY busy week! Enjoy your Memorial day!

2 comments:

Sarah Chips said...

Great post! heehee
So apparently a lot of people have offered to help you out with your lifetime goal but has anyone ever actually TRIED giving you one or are they all just talk and no action?? haha
I always thought black eyes were cool too but I never had that on my wishlist (perhaps because I actually did get one one time while being pulled on a sled through the snow and a friend was shoveling snow on top of me and accidently hit me in the eye with the edge of the shovel) I always wanted a broken leg. haha I always thought that would be the coolest thing. I got a broken arm once but no broken leg. *sigh* maybe some day ;)) haha

Katarina said...

No, they've walked up all ready to do it. But then I've ducked out or someone came and broke it up. But one would think after being elbowed at least once, punched more times then I care to count (thanks to the boys) that I would have at least one black eye to brag about. But no I have none to even think about. lol

I used to think a broken limb might be interesting, one reason the amount of chores esp. on a farm that one can or can't do with a broken limb. That was until I sprained both my wrist and my ankle and I figured if it hurt that bad for a sprain I can bypass the broken limb thank you very much!!