Friday, July 24, 2009

It's That Time of Year!!!

For those of you who are not baseball fans, this post will mean nothing for you. And truthfully, even if you are a baseball fan this post will only mean something to you if you are an Astros' fan. :D

I have been an Astros' fan for over a decade now, I have seen them through it all. I have seen them win it all the way to the World Series and I have seen them at the bottom of the line, at the way bottom as in, in last place. I have seen them lose, and lose again until after the All-Star break where they all pull it together and win, either getting within a few wins of going to the post season or winning and going.

And honestly I don't think I can blame them for taking half a season before 'pulling it together'. When they have to learn who everyone is due to Mr. McLane pulling together “which ever players he can” before the season starts. Sure they are paid millions to play, but honestly do you think that any amount of money can help everyone learn who is who and what they do well? Do you think millions can tell a manager where to put each batter in the line up or who to put at the hot corner (esp. when we have THREE players for that spot?!)

It takes a few months to get to know everyone, and most teams have at least two years together. But no, not the Astros', Mr. McLane (yes, with the help of his GM, but it's McLane with the pocket book), kind of throws all the players in bag and toss them around, see who he can get for pennies, and hope that they can pull a team together and win the whole season. Who does he think he is kidding? (Well, besides himself!)

I am a die hard Astros' fan and have been for YEARS!! I have been told more than once that I hold on to long and that my faith to the Astros boarders on ridiculous. Truth be told there are times when I agree with those people!! But, I love it. Yes, I do cry when they lose and yes I have been known to not talk about any baseball for days after what I think is one of the worst trades for the Astros. And yes, I do stay at the games when there is no doubt they are going to lose. But it is enjoyable!

And as I sit here typing this out, I am listening to the Astros (currently beating the Mets). They are 1 1/2 games out of first; in fact they are in second right behind the Cardinals. And I sit here saying If they _____ win this and this and this game and the _____ lose this and this game, while the _____ win this and that game, and if ____ wins five games the Astros will be in first place!!

Now, this year I have a little easier, if the Astros win and the Cardinals and Cubs lose, the Astros will be in first place.

I enjoy this time of year, and though I do wish the Astros could go the entire year in first place this just gives the year a whole bunch of enjoyment and means I can spend the first half of the year thinking about the dairy and getting everything settled with the goat's kidding and any shows we are in. And then spend the last of the year watching the Astros, cheering them on, going to games, and praying that this off season the owner just might have a bit of sense!!!

But, mark my words, the Astros will be in the post season. Now if they are going to go all the way and win? No, I will not say anything else until I see in late September who else in the play-offs, then I will make my bets and enjoy it. Until then I will enjoy this ride that the Astros take us on!!


GO ASTROS!!!!

No comments: