Friday, July 17, 2009

Saturday's

It used to be that Saturdays were our most laid back days of the entire week. Those of us who did not have to milk could sleep until 9 (Truth be told those who did milk sometimes slept that late as well.) and then we lazed about and had a late breakfast....A breakfast meal at lunch time and then around 2:30 those of us who cared would gather around the TV for This Week in Baseball and then the Fox game of the week.

Now it's our busiest day of the week. Starting at 4 when I and who ever is helping me, to load all the product into our 15 ice chests to be divided as best as possible amongst the three markets.

Dad and who ever he is taking with him pulls out at 5:30 for their two hour drive to Austin. While mom and who ever she is taking leaves at 6, in "princess" (the finicky green van) for the Bayou City Farmers Market. And I leave sometime between 6:00-6:30 with whom ever I am taking with me in the little white Geo for Onion Creek Farmers Market in The Heights.

The two markets in the Houston area start at 8 and run until 10 where we do our best to "Educate Houston one cup at a time" about goat's milk and cheese. The market in Austin runs from 9-1.

When everyone gets home depends on who it is and what they have to do after their market. Since mom is a few blocks from Central Market, she always stops there for lunch or to buy supplies for our product. Since that is where we get our vanilla bean paste, chocolate powder, and other spices for our products. So, mom tends to get home between 2-3.

I can not honestly say when I will get home, because tomorrow will be my second at this market and I hoping to get home without driving the scenic route through Memorial Park. (Much, as I like the park I don't care to drive through it just for the fun of it. :D ) But, I do believe that unless I drive over and help mom break down at her market or meet mom at Central Market, I should get home between 1 and 2.

Now the earliest that dad gets home is around 5 o'clock and that is without stopping at any of our favorite sites in Austen or our favorite thrift store. He has even shown up as late as 7 one time. :D

After everyone is home and unpacked (which happens as we get home) we do evening chores and then laze around until it's time to go to bed. In that time someone will lay out the younger 6 children's clothing for church and dad or I will have turned on a baseball game. (Either on the computer or on the TV). And Food Network will be turned on for a few minutes at least.

It's an enjoyable day and one I wouldn't miss out, I love to see the other vendors, meet our customers, and sell OUR product. It's just another way to show that God has changed our lives. Esp. considering that five years ago, we were still in the city. (Not for long, but we were still there. :D ) And I just could not fathom us owning livestock and living in the country, even though, I knew we were moving out in the next week. :D I love to look back on the changes God has made in our lives and even though this one is only about 7 months new for us, it's still amazing and I am loving almost every minute of it. (Those early mornings are a whole 'nother matter. I am still trying to decided if I like them or not. lol) And truth be told, I don't think I would change my the way I am living for any other one right now!! :)

No comments: