Sunday, November 8, 2009

Scents

If you've followed my blog for any length of time or if you know me then there's a good chance that you know I own a business. I sell goat milk soap and super scented 100% soy candles.

I love making both, they are about the only creative outlet I have, and even then it's not really good. :D No colors, no swirls, nothing fancy, nothing overly girly or attractive about them. It's just a bar of soap that does it's job by moisturizing people's skin or a candle that pleases everyone with it's fragrance. It's Just lots of fun to see ingredients come together to make a product that works (it's a lot like cooking).

There's one problem with this entire gig. In making candles and soaps you are around things that have scents to them. Be it a sweet, sour, strong, light, or pleasing scent it's still there. :D

In the past few months I've noticed a very disturbing thing...I seem to be sensitive to scents. The stronger they are the worse off I am (well, duh!!). But even some mild scents can cause a headache bad enough to make me want to quite the business.

It's enough to make me want to cry and ask about the fairness of life (yes, I know life is never fair). Couldn't one of my sisters who doesn't have a business in soaps and candles be the one who is sensitive to scents? Or the brother who could care less if his soap smelled like leather instead of a flower be the one that in the very near future might need to start keep unscented soap in the kitchen instead of cranberry marmalade? Oh, the injustices of it all!!!

Trying to decide if I should use a new scent can be a little on the side of torture and soaping some scents is enough to confirm for me that I HAVE lost my mind. But do you want to know want the worst thing out there? Worst then soaping, worse then make three large batches of soap, worse than breaking a bottle of fragrance oil in my door way? Walking within 20 feet of Wal-mart's craft or seasonal section. I think that overwhelming scent could give anyone a headache. That is if it doesn't kill people first. lol


there’s your warning, if you are sensitive to scents I would HIGHLY suggest you stay away from the craft section of Wal-Mart!

1 comment:

Dee said...

my sympathies! that is why we don't buy candles and only buy the milder soaps. MOST scents give us headaches.