Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Have Finally Come To Grips

With the fact that I am an adult. No, I don't feel like one, (esp. those times when I getting a lecture), no I do not look like one (in fact I had someone tell me they thought I was 12 last week!  I am praying that he was joking!), nor is it the fact that I have been told that I can start calling adults (people closer to my parents age) by their given name.

No it's not how I look, act, or feel that makes me realize I've hit the adult mark. Rather it's how the younger people in my life or their parents view, call, or treat me, such as...

When our next door neighbor calls me Miss Katie when talking to her 7 month old baby and his sister walks in and says "Hi, Miss K K!"

Or when I hear stories from church members where their 5 year old says that I am not a Carlson child because I am an adult.

Then there are the times when Noah or Libby want to know about when I was a kid. (When I was a kid? Oh, you mean when you were born?)

But the biggest thing was when one of my sisters (Sara or Linnea) asked me a couple days ago..."So, Katie what do want to do with your life now that you’re grown up?"

Yup, now that I'm "grown up" I'm getting asked many a question, some questions are of the type that I never thought I would be asked until I was much older than my current age, while there are others that I never thought I would be asked, then there are those that I knew I would get asked, but there are always those that are curve balls, being an adult is not as easy as it looked when I was younger.

1 comment:

Sarah Chips said...

Hurray for feeling like an adult!!...wait..um..is that a good thing? Now I'm confused. lol

Since I moved I am feeling more and more like an adult than EVER! I think having to plan meals, occasionally go shopping, cook, clean, drive places, etc. all by myself really makes me feel more adultish (is that even a word?) I no longer have anyone to depend on, I've gotta do it myself or it doesn't get done. That's a very strange feeling.

But yeah, know what you mean about people's comments and such. Oh the joys in being all grown up! lol