Thursday, March 19, 2009

Behind the Name

I thought I would explain why the blog is called Naturally Texan. But to explain that, I would need to explain why Swede Farm Naturals has that name, and then to explain that I would need to explain why Swede Farm is what Swede Farm. Then I was trying to figure out how to explain. Do I explain it all one post or three separate posts? Do, I do the blog name first or Swede Farm's name first. It was very confusing!


After much thinking I have decided to explain it in the order that they came--The Farm, the business, and then the blog, all in one post. So, here goes....

The Farm:

Dad and mom moved us out to the farm in '04 so that the kids would have a place to run around and play and so that our Grandfather could live with us. We named our farm Swede Farm after our uncle, who's nick name was Swede. He was dearly loved by us all, and this was our way of remembering him. Here is a quote form our website about him.

"It was through Swede's hard work and diligence that we were able to follow our dream and purchase our farm. Our lives were better for having loved him in life and forever changed by the provision he made for his family at his death."

The Business:

Since then any new project or business having to do with the farm has had Swede in it's name, one way or another. When I started Swede Farm Naturals, I was having the hardest time coming up with a name. One of the reasons was I had to have a name that I liked as well as both of my parents. At first we came up with Swede's Stitches and Scents. (Because Grace and I were going to start a sewing business as well.) Since I was the only person who kind of liked that name, it didn't stay around for long. Truth be told, I don't really know how we got Swede Farm Naturals, but to say I think mom said "How about Swede Farm Naturals?". Everyone LOVED it and it has stayed. :D


The Blog:

For the blog we went through a number of names, but I WANT my parents input when I do new things such as this. Esp. when I will be talking about their family, farm, them, and their lives. It took a lot to find a name that both I and my parents would liked. About three months of them thinking, and about a year of me thinking. (I am still not certain if dad really likes the name or if he just said is was O.K. because it was the one he preferred over the other suggestions.) Again, mom came up with the name (She is a LOT better at that sort of thing then I am.) We went with Naturally to kind of stay with my business (which is what they did with their blog, because we do have a part of the farm business called Dairy Berries.) And Texan because I am a 100% Texan and proud of it!! (Also Native Texan was already taken).

There you have it, the reason behind the farm name, the business name, and the blog name! I hope it made sense to you! :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed learning about why your farm, business and blog were named what they were. I knew some of that before, but it was nice to have the rest of the details to complete the story. :-)