Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Skittles, Gum, and Other Candy

This is going to sound weird, but I am going to talk about it anyways, because I am weird. At least that is what people have told me. (I am still trying to figure out how I am weird, but years of trying to figure it out, has yet to give me an answer. :-S)

The week before Christmas, I got my braces off. When I got them off, it had been 3 years and 10 months to the day! With braces I had to give up a lot of stuff, because (unlike when my mom had braces) the list they gave me of couldn't eats was ever so LOOONG!! As in a half page with three columns. :-S I gave up gum, corn on the cob, certain types of candy, my favorite cookies and many other foods that were crunchy, nutty, or hard to to the teeth. I did draw the line at tortillas, as I will never give up tortillas, but that is a whole 'nother post. :D

The hardest thing for me to give up were certain types of sweets. Which is one reason that I believe, my love for chocolate has grown so much in the past few years. When the rest of the family got candy or cookies that I couldn't have they always bought me chocolate. (So, my heart is very healthy!)

In the past 2+ months I have been eating more candy then normal and having a blast!! Last week at the Livestock show I got a 10 oz bag of licorice jelly beans, something that I ate once or twice a year, rather I ummmmm.....well.....let the sugar coating dissolve off and then well.....never mind. But I got a whole 10 oz bag all for myself. O.K. so I shared it with friends and family when they were around while I had it out, but I eat over half of the bag myself since not that many people like licorice, in any form. lol

The main thing that started this post was while at H-E-B yesterday I did something that I don't think I have ever done. I knew I wanted some gum (plus I had promised a sister a pack). So I started looking at all the candy and grabbing candy that I saw and liked or wanted. I ended up getting three packs of gum (I gave two packs to two sisters.) A packet of mint three Musketeers (I shared it with mom and friend who was with us), Truffles (Again, I shared with the people in the car with me.), and a kit kat bar for my coffee today. I don't think I have ever bought that much different types of candy for myself all at one time, before. Let me tell you, it was fun!! (Plus it was all on sale! You can't beat that!)

I bought two candies that hadn't been able to buy while I had my braces on. One of which was gum, before I had my braces we had a rule--no gum until you were 18. Due to the fact that there are a lot of younger children in our family who don't really know what to do with gum. When I turned 18, I still had my braces on, so there was no gum for me. By the time I got gum, it had been about 6 years since I last had gum. (And I can tell you were I was and who I got the gum from!)

Since the braces have come off I have bought a package of gun about once every three weeks or so. Meaning I eat a piece every two days or so. Probably more then I should, but let me tell you, there are worse things to eat on a regular base!

The other was skittles, the last time I had them was when I was on the plane to D.C. two years ago and I had left my bag of mints sitting on my bed. That one small bag lasted me, my entire week in D.C.. I eat the candy slowly enough, but often enough, that my uncle thought I lived on skittles. Before that? I think hadn't had them in years! I forgot how much I enjoyed them. :- ) I liked all the flavors, except for the grape (I have never liked grape flavor, the only grape I like is the grape it's self). Now, I am told that I should have my sisters get me some skittles from the UK since the purple is a black current and that I would then enjoy the entire bag. :D And yes I am going to ask them to pick me up some the next time I talk to them. lol

I will say that it is hard to find a candy I do not like. I think of all the kids in our family I have the worst sweet tooth of us all. (The only person worse in our family is my father). The sourer or darker the better, but there are times when I do want one of those candies that are sweet and not so sour.

(FYI: The pictures were added, since I had some sisters tell me that I didn't have enough pictures on my blog. lol)

No comments: