Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I Should Have Known!

Living on a farm for the past four and half years, and living in Houston the 16 years before that, being the oldest of now 11 children, owning a business, and homeschooling has taught me many things. Some of them I learned while living in Houston and some of it I learned out in the country. Some of the things has taught me I need to change, in some ways I have changed, yet in others I am still working on the changing part. The following is a story of where I am still working on changing.

Have you ever heard the saying goats eat everything? Well, truth be told, they don't. Yeah, yeah, I know there is probably going to be one or two people out there who believe me. But it's true! They may get things in their mouth, but they rarely eat it. If you have them nibble on your clothing, take a good look at how much is truly missing. If you were to try and patch it, you would find that not that much was gone, but you would still have holes from their teeth.

Before I get any farther let me say, I LOVE my goats! And am not to keen on purses, but since I learned I like to always have my MP3 player and a 300 page book with me, I might as well get used to carrying it now, instead of later when I HAVE to.

Last week I learned that goats not only like to eat Alfalfa, Hay, grain, and Sunflower seeds, nor do they like to just nibble on books, trees, and school papers. (It's a good thing I don't need to tell my teacher, "My goat eat my homework"!)

But they also like to nibble and I mean just nibble on leather (or was it imitation leather? I don't really know.). But, that is what I found out at the Houston livestock show. I had my purse sitting under the table where we were 'camping' out for the three days there, and someone was worried that a passerby might see it and like it a little to much, so they pushed it back where passerbys couldn't see it. The only problem was that the goats could see it.

So, when I got paid for trimming some goats, I pick up my purse to put my money in it, nothing new and out of the ordinary, right?

Well, when I grabbed one of the handles my hand did not feel the nice smooth leather feeling that it was used to. Rather it feels strings that are starting to fray and wetness. I look from my purse, to my hand, and back to my purse again trying to figure out what was going on. (I will have to add that it was close to the end of a LONG day of trimming, 8 goats in about 20 hours!) So, there I was standing there like an idiot trying to figure out what is going on when a goat next to me gives one of those, "I'm bored, what do you have for me to eat?" cries. And all of a sudden I understand what happened, it was as if I had been hit in the face with the information! lol I look down and the goat is looking at me like, "Hey that's mine! What are you doing with it? roflol

About the only thing I can do (and want to do) at this point is laugh, it was quite comical. Esp if you had been able to see my face. I walk over to the lady who had brought me with her to the show and who's goat had nibbled at my purse. She looks at me and then at my purse, while I say "Your goat likes my purse!". She was horrified, I felt so bad for her! Here I am laughing about it and she wants to go out and buy me a purse right then and there at the rodeo!

Which in turn causes me to be horrified! Here I am with a purse that was given to me by my six year old sister for Christmas. A purse that she had pulled out of a bag full of clothes that someone had given us. She got the purse for free! And if she hadn't found it before I did then mom would have given it to me. (I have a BAAD track record with purses!) Much as I love the fact that Liberty thought about me and got me a purse that would suite me, that was my style, and my favorite size I can part with it easy enough. And I thought is was funny the way that it had to go.

And here the lady is wanting to go and by me a purse at the Houston Livestock show and Rodeo! Have you ever been there and seen those purses?!? They are very, very nice, handcrafted, made with 100% leather, with a high price tag to go along with all of that. And I just couldn't see spending that kind of money to replace a free purse! Not to mention, I had a back up purse sitting in my closet for when something like this happened. I told her very kindly that, it was O.K., I should have kept it away from goats and passerbys and it was just as much my fault as her goats. :D

Well, yesterday morning as I am on my way out to the Dairy to pasteurize I see a car pulling up. Out steps the breeder with a purse. All black leather just the right size to hold my MP3 player and 300 page book, and a few other things! She gives it to me with a word of advice "Don't let the goats nibble on it!".

Just to let you know, if there is anything you like don't let a goat close or they will nibble at it, mind you not eat it, for they will leave enough there for you to see it and miss it. lol

No comments: