Monday, April 6, 2009

A Not So Normal Friday

All righty then, the first half of this post was done on Friday (during my 'lunch break') the other half has been 'stewing' in my mind since then and this is the first chance I have had to continue it. :D

Fridays are normally very busy days, this Friday was more so. I knew yesterday (Thursday 4/2) that I was going to at least have to make one batch of yogurt and pasteurize some milk. Well, for more then one reason I had to do more then that today (Friday).

The day started out with dad and me getting up way to early and thankfully we were able to, because both or our alarms didn't go off, I just happened to wake up at the right time. After dad and I got the yogurt started he left for work, leaving me to yogurt sit. While I yogurt sat for about an hour, I was making sure the temp would stay where it needed to for it to become yogurt, I had cleaned up the processing room, and did my bible study, after about an hour I headed inside.

Inside I cuddled with Noah and Seth, played with the toddlers, got hit in the face with my purse, worked on labels for tomorrow's market, printed up a flyer for tomorrow's market, ordered supplies for Swede Farm Naturals, (I have a conference coming up soon), played, read some blogs, got breakfast, and tried to direct the kids to do the correct thing at the right time (namely school). And that was all done before ten am!!

I then spent the next hour and half wasting my time on the computer, with a little bit of directing the kids on what to do school wise and trying to get the flyer finished for mom and dad.

After that we had lunch prep, lunch, and naps. I then directed everyone to do certain jobs so I knew that all would be well in the house while I was out in the Dairy. I had Christin watch two toddlers, Sara watch another, Libby on her bed, I directed Linnea, Emma, and Timothy to do a couple jobs each so that the house would be picked up when mom got home, Grace and I then headed out to the dairy to bottle yogurt and then cleaned processing the room.

As soon as I had the yogurt bottled and everything cleaned up, I immediately started pasteurizing and making chocolate milk. While that was pasteurizing I worked on getting both rooms in the dairy cleaned, since we had a farm visit at 7 that evening.

As soon as I could leave the dairy, knowing it was cleaned and the milk was cooling, I headed into the house to grab some 'gear' to take to the trailer for some soap making.

By the time I had grabbed some supplies, mp3 player, and coffee, Emma came in to tell me that milk was ready to be bottled! I couldn't believe it, I must of take FAR longer then I thought I had. But I went out to check anyways. It was not ready to be bottled right then, but there wasn't enough time to make soap before it needed to be bottled, so I did some bible study instead.

As soon as I had the chocolate milk bottled and everything cleaned up from that processing. The girls where by then done with the evening milking and our visitors had arrived. But, my job was far from being done.

I immediately started pasteurizing that day's milk for market on Saturday (4/4). The same old normal thing I do every Saturday. Though I would love to do it in the morning more often, nothing new and out of the ordinary.

As it was pasteurizing I was putting any labels on bottles that weren't labeled, making sure that the ice chests (all 7 of them) were clean for the next day, and we had our milk bottles that were full of water were frozen, and anything else I needed to do to get ready for market the following day.

After the milk was bottled, the room cleaned, and everything prepped for a quick load up the next morning I headed into the house to hit the sack and coddle with Noah happened to have fallen asleep on my bed.

At market the next day I was able to tell our costumers that their yogurt, chocolate milk, and half their milk was fresh! As in from the day before fresh! Friday was a VERY LONG day, but I got to sleep in the next two mornings (not by much, but I did get a little extra sleep). And I wouldn't trade this 'job' in for any other job!!

No comments: