Monday, April 13, 2009

Something New


One of my jobs in helping the family is that I teach the youngers. I teach them until the are ten years old or until the start sassing back, which ever comes first. lol Right now I have Liberty (6), Noah (4), and Judah (2) in my "class".

And when I say that I mean each morning for about 30 minutes we sit down and work on a hymn, a catechism question, colors, shapes, 1-10, ABC's, some sort of game, and a fun song (do you ears hang low?, the wheels on the bus, etc.) And they love it, now Libby might not be to happy to do her 1-10 or ABC's but after about five minutes she comes around. :D

Where we do "school" depends on the weather, if it's as nice as it has been lately, we do it on the deck where we might add counting sticks and chickens to the programme. lol

Well, this morning around 9 o'clock we had a truck load of sand dumped right in between the house and the dairy to help cut down on the mud. (I LOVE the sand piles, oh so cool, better then a beach any day!! lol). Thirty minutes later when I called them to go do some school on the deck I had a revolt for the first time ever from this "class". I was just a bit shocked, since this is the group that has woken me up at least three days out of the week wanting to do school. It was only when they started yelling about a dirt hill did I realize why.

Thanks to a very thoughtful and fun mom we got that problem fixed. For the first time ever I taught school from a top a dirt hill. Drawing letters in the sand and counting to see who could make the most dirt balls or throw the most in the puddle three feet away. I must admit, I loved it. (Once I got over the fact that I would have sand in my hair and down my shirt!)

Yet another first for me. :D Teaching from a top a 'dirt' hill. lol

(In this picture about 1/4 of the sand has already been moved to the puddle, it's just so much fun to sit there and throw it, that it's hard to tell the kids not to. Not to mention they have been using their little shovels as well. :D )

No comments: