Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Tonight

7:05 this even will mark the begging of the end of the 2009 Major League Baseball season!

The World Series starts tonight and though it might be over by the Monday morning, I always enjoy watching it, even if none of my teams are in it (as the case is this year). As I have stated I was raised first an Astros fan and then a Red Sox fan, but always a Yankee hater! So, I guess you now know who I will be rooting for this year. :D

I will have to say, that at the begging of the Division Series, I was asked who I wanted to see go to the World Series. I had said that I would like to see the Phillies in it and the Yankees not. :D As it turns out I got one of my two wishes. The only thing that would have been better would to have had the Dodgers win and Joe Torrie in Yankee Stadium in a uniform other then Yankee gear.

Now, I am sure that there a few people out there wondering why I am rooting for the Phillies, esp. since I just said I have been doing so for the past week. Maybe it's because they were in the WS last year, but I honestly doubt that. Maybe it's because I tend to root for the teams that have been around the longest, but then I have been known to cheer on the Rays and D-Backs, so that can't be the reason.

O.K. So, I really do why I am rooting for them.....Brad Lidge (and a few other former Astros). Brad has been one of my favorite players for years now, even though I am a team fan and never really had a favorite player there have always been one or two players that I enjoy watching more than others. Those are the players where their love of the game is shown in every pitch, catch, or at bat. And then there are the players who keep at it for years even though others would have quite long ago (I guess that goes back to the love of the game factor) and then there those who might or might not be great, but their love for God is evident in everything they do and say, and that is what makes the biggest difference for me.

Brad Lidge actually falls under all three. When playing with the Astros his love of the game was evident in every play (And yes, it’s still evident even though he doesn’t still play for us). He stuck out through the ‘hard times’ after having a horrible year his last year in Houston. But it’s his love for God that has really kept me a Brad Lidge fan, because most time when a player leaves town, you don't get to see him often and you tend to forget that he played here. But not Lidge, first of all in the post season you are always hearing of his giving up the Pujols home run, second of he was (and still is in most cases) an Astros' fan favorite. :D

But for me whenever I watch him and then see an interview and one of the first things out of his mouth is "I have to thank God for all he has done for me. Because without him, I wouldn't be here and my talent would be nothing." O.K. so it's not exactly those words, but they are along those lines. And truth be told, there are some people who say those things but don't live them out. From the few things I have seen and heard, Lidge does both and I respect him for that and having a hard time rooting against him, even when he’s playing the Astros.

There you have it, I'm rooting for the Phillies, but more so for Brad Lidge. :D On a side note, the Phillies are the first team in 9 years to go to the World Series two consecutive years.

No comments: